hot cocoa stirrers
Peppermint stick Hot Cocoa Stirrers are the easiest of winter treats just perfect for spreading holiday cheer!
Happy December! Easily one of my favorite months out of the year, December in our house is all about baking, candy making and creating simple edible crafts designed for gifting. To start off the month I thought I would share these super easy hot cocoa stirrers. When used to stir cocoa, the marshmallows float away as the chocolate melts giving your hot cocoa a delightful peppermint twist. Who doesn’t love a little extra chocolate and marshmallows in their hot cocoa?
We found some great peppermint stirrers at Target this year, but if they’re hard to find or you’re not looking to make a special trip you can always break the curve off of plain peppermint candy canes. The curves can be crushed for other holiday treats like our Peppermint Bark OREOs or our Candy Cane OREO Truffles. I’m confident you’ll find a sweet way to put them to good use.
To gift, I love dropping these into pretzel sized cello bags and tying with red ribbon. They’re best given with individual packs of hot cocoa and insanely cute if packaged with a decorative mug. Since the era of Pinterest, I have been dying to put together a hot cocoa bar and these would be just darling set out on a platter for all of Santa’s helpers. What is your favorite treat for spreading holiday cheer? We’d love to hear!
- 2 packages Hammonds Peppermint Stirrers (16 total)
- 1 (12-oz) package Light Cocoa candy melts
- 1 (3-oz) container Jet-Puffed Mallow Bits
- Pour Mallow Bits into a shallow baking dish, large enough to roll peppermint sticks in, and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave candy melts in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until smooth.
- Use a dry paper towel to gently wipe off powder used to keep stirrers from sticking. (Omit this step if using individually wrapped peppermint sticks).
- Dip each stirrer in melted chocolate, coating three-quarters of the stick, and gently tap off excess.
- Roll in Mallow Bits, gently pressing bits to cover all sides. Transfer to wax paper to set. If hot or humid, transfer to refrigerator to help set completely.
- When chocolate has hardened, carefully package for gifting or store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to use.
Wilton Candy Melting Pot