crispy chewy chocolate chip cookies
Crispy edges, chewy centers, and sweet chocolate chips will make these Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies your new favorite cookie recipe. It doesn’t hurt that they’re super easy to throw together!
Back in 2009, Smitten Kitchen posted a recipe for these Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies and I am pretty sure that I made them the same day that her post went live. I have loved this recipe ever since and keep it in the chocolate chip cookie rotation for when I’m craving a chewy cookie with deliciously crisp edges. Also, if The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook is not part of your kitchen library then you are totally missing out.
If you’e looking for a softer chocolate chip cookie with more height, I highly recommend the New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookie. However, the recipe is time consuming and requires a few extra ingredients that you may not already have on hand. This recipe for Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies couldn’t be any easier. You likely already have everything you need, there’s no waiting for butter to thaw, and you don’t even have to dirty your stand mixer. Triple win!
The secret to these cookies is to not over mix and to slightly under bake. The result? The crispiest, chewiest, most delicious chocolate chip cookies you’ll eat all week. My little secret? Throw some flaky sea salt on them right before baking for that salty sweet depth that keeps everyone coming back for seconds (or thirds)!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I use minis)
- flaky sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with either parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth. Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla and whisk until as fluffy as it will get before your arm gets tired. (I swear the secret to these is not using your stand mixer).
- Fold in flour mixture until fully incorporated followed by chocolate chips until evenly distributed. Cover and chill dough for about an hour.
- Use a one-inch cookie scoop to evenly scoop cookies about three inches apart. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown on the bottom/edges. Top should appear glossy, but not wet. Transfer to wire rack to cool.