instant chai tea mix
Homemade instant chai tea mix is a deliciously fun gift for the winter holidays. It would make an adorable party favor for a winter tea party; and since it can easily be made ahead of time in bulk, it is wonderful to have on hand for last minute hostess gifts.
As a heavy tea drinker, I have always had a soft spot for chai varieties. Although I love a good steep of fresh spices and loose tea leaves, I’m also not one to turn down a flavored tea bag or mug of the instant stuff. The other half recently became obsessed with instant chai and in an attempt to cut costs on the multitude of fancy mixes that we were purchasing, I decided to try making a mix in bulk. The mix turned out wonderfully sweet and spicy and I found myself enjoying not one, but two mugs of it this morning.
What started as a way to cut costs turned into the realization that this would make wonderful homemade gifts this holiday season. Just package the mix in mason jars or other airtight glass containers, tie it up with a bow, attach a label or a card with instructions for serving and you’ve got yourself an impressive holiday offering. The ability to make this mix in bulk ahead of time makes it ideal for when you don’t want to show up empty handed to those last minute holiday engagements.
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
- 1 cup french vanilla-flavored non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1½ cups unsweetened instant tea
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground all-spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together milk powder, coffee creamers and sugar until evenly distributed. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together tea and spices.
- Using a spice grinder or food processor, pulse tea mixture in approximately one cup batches until a fine powder is formed.
- Add tea powder to dairy mixture and whisk until fully combined.
- Using a spice grinder or food processor, pulse entire mixture in approximately one cup batches until well incorporated and a fluffy powder consistency is reached.
- Transfer to airtight containers to store or gift.
- Mix two heaping tablepoons per 8 ounces of boiling water and enjoy!
Airtight glass jars
Festive ribbon or twine
Small gift labels to print directions
Pair with seasonal mugs and decorative tea scoops for larger gifts.