brown butter pumpkin krispies treats
Pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice takes the already incredible brown butter rice krispies treat to the next level.
Yesterday was my mother’s birthday and like every other day that we have the opportunity to connect, we were reminded exactly how alike we are. We started the morning with a few emails back in forth with warm birthday wishes and plans for traveling home for Christmas. I casually threw in that I had just made a batch of brown butter krispies treats with a pumpkin spice twist and was curious if anyone would notice if I ate the entire pan in one day. Apparently she had also made a batch of brown butter krispies treats the night before and almost threw some pumpkin pie spice into the mix. Like mother, like daughter – there’s absolutely no denying the fact that you shaped me into the woman I am today. Happy Birthday, Mom. I love you more than brown butter baked goods.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces miniature marshmallows, approximately 5½ cups
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon fleur de sel
- 7 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Lightly spray a 9x13" baking pan with baking spray and set aside.
- Brown butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat by allowing it to melt, foam and return to clear with brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Be sure to swirl pan frequently to avoid burning.
- Once butter is fragrant and just browned, reduce heat to low and stir in marshmallows until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and fleur de sel until fully incorporated.
- Gently stir in the Rice Krispies cereal until evenly coated in marshmallows.
- Press mixture into the bottom of the prepared in an even layer.
- Allow to set for 2 hours before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container.