mardi gras masquerade sugar cookies
Bright sanding sugars, gold pearls, and a killer sugar cookie recipe create a festive Mardi Gras Masquerade Sugar Cookie perfect for celebrating Carnival.
The 2015 Carnival season comes to a close next week as Fat Tuesday sends Mardi Gras out with a bang. If you haven’t had a chance to celebrate this year, these Mardi Gras Masquerade Sugar Cookies are a festive recipe that can be thrown together in no time. We love the look of super bright sanding sugars as well as the sweet crunch they give these sugar cookies. A few edible gold sugar pearls add the touch of bling that Mardi Gras is known for.
I had a stash of fun wooden party picks that I baked underneath a handful of cookies for added flair. The cookies do not cook for very long so the pick did not burn, but make sure to keep a close eye on your cookies during baking and use a food-safe product. I simply adore how the masks turned out! They would be gorgeous dropped in a cellophane treat sack and tied with metallic ribbon – just perfect for spreading Carnival cheer or as party favors for your next Mardi Gras themed bash.
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- colored sanding sugar and metallic sugar pearls to decorate
- Line baking sheets with either parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together baking powder, salt, and flour. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, mixing until incorporated.
- Gradually mix in dry mixture until dough forms. Form dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap for at least an hour before rolling.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll dough on lightly floured surface or between two sheets of freezer paper to ¼ inch thick. Cut into desired shapes and transfer to prepared baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with colored sanding sugars and adorn with sugar pearls if desired. Bake 5-8 minutes until lightly golden on edges.
- Transfer to wire rack and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Mask Cookie Cutter – 3″ with Cutouts
Gold Sugar Pearls
Wood Ball End Rock Candy Sticks