peeps shortbread bunnies
Happy Easter, loves! Soft shortbread cookies dipped in marshmallow candy melts and colorful sprinkles offer a delicious alternative to the iconic Easter Peeps.
- 2 sticks of butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package Marshmallow Candy Melts
- Assorted fine colored decorating sugars
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place silicone bunny mold on top of a flat baking sheet.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla, and almond extract and beat until light and fluffy. Add dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Fill each cavity with 12 grams of prepared dough and press with your fingertips to evenly fill ears and head. Dough will fill approximately half the depth of each cavity.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until edges are a slight golden brown and the tops no longer appear wet.
- Leave cookies in mold to cool completely. Invert mold onto a flat surface and gently pop out each cookie.
- Melt candy melts according to package instructions. Dip the front of each bunny into candy melts and tap off excess. Or, if desired, use a small offset spatula to spread a thin, even layer of candy melts onto the front surface of each cookie.
- Immediately dip cookie into colored sprinkles, pressing gently to cover the entire surface.
- Transfer to parchment paper to allow cookies to harden, approximately 15-30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips in a small microwave safe bowl for about 30 seconds in the microwave. Stir until smooth and then use the blunt end of a toothpick to dab eyes and a nose onto each bunny. Allow chocolate to set.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
A small kitchen scale will help ensure evenly distributed dough and uniform cookie sizes.
Bunny molds are made by Wilton and contain 24 cavities each.
Marshmallow Candy Melts are a limited offering from Wilton, in their absence you may substitute white candy melts with a few drops of LorAnn Marshmallow flavoring oil.