old fashioned chocolate meringue pies
Celebrate National Pi Day with Old Fashioned Chocolate Meringue Pies. Straight from my Mommom’s recipe box, these pies pair rich chocolate pudding with fluffy baked meringue. Small Mason Jars add portability and a touch of southern charm.
OLD FASHIONED CHOCOLATE MERINGUE PIES
Yields: 6 small mason jars or one pie shell
- 1 ½ cups sugar, plus additional ½ cup sugar for the meringue
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pre-baked pie shell (optional)
- Stir together 1 ½ cups sugar, cocoa, salt, and flour. Add enough milk to make a paste. Separate eggs and add the four yolks one at a time. Stir until smooth then add remainder of milk.
- Cook over medium high heat stirring constantly with a whisk until it comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla, stirring until butter melts.
- Pour into mini mason jars or pre-baked pie shell.
- To make the meringue, beat whites of four eggs until foamy. Add ½ cups sugar slowly, while beating, until it holds stiff peaks.
- Top chocolate filling with meringue and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until lightly browned.