almond spritz cookies
A vintage copper cookie press highlights the nostalgia of the classic almond spritz cookie.
Almond spritz Christmas trees have been my favorite cookie year after year during the holidays. Not only are they my favorite to eat, but they are so fun to decorate. Every year I would look forward to going into my Mommom’s baking pantry to pick out the best assortment of sprinkles and cinnamon candies to decorate the perfect cookies. These cookies are ideal for little bakers as they take little coordination or skill to make colorful works of delicious art. Not too sweet and perfectly crisp, these addictive little cookies are sure to be a favorite in your home too!
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cream together shortening and egg. Gradually mix in the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder until well combined.
- Add almond extract and mix well. Add food coloring to desired color.
- Put through the cookie press onto cookie sheets. Decorate with sprinkles or colored sugar and top with a cinnamon candy.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 -12 minutes or until very light brown and set.
OXO Good Grips Cookie Press or Mirro Copper Cookie Press (pictured)