old fashioned m&m cookies
Just like your grandmother used to make; this tried and true recipe for Old-Fashioned M&M Cookies is sure to bring back sweet memories. Pastel M&M’s transform these cookies into a delicious addition to your Easter festivities.
I absolutely love old fashioned M&M cookies. They hold a special place in my heart as they were one of the first cookies that I gummed to a slobbery death as a wee little baker in my Mommom’s kitchen highchair. Personal tastes aside, this is also one of my favorite recipes to bake for others. Seeing as how Mommom saved the recipe off of the M&M bag many years ago, it almost always brings back sweet memories for the lucky recipients. I know I’ve done well when the resounding response falls along the lines of “these taste just like my grandmother’s!”
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix shortening and sugars together in an electric mixer until fluffy then mix in vanilla and eggs until smooth.
- In another bowl sift dry ingredients together. Gradually add to sugar mixture, blend well.
- Gently fold M&M's into dough.
- Place heaping teaspoons of dough approximately two inches apart on cookie sheet. Top with 3-4 extra M&M's, if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.