baby owl spritz cookies
Pastel owl cookies are a precious treat for celebrating the arrival of new bundles of joy into the world. Bake up a batch for your next baby shower or to deliver to a tired mom in need of a sweet pick me up.
I have to admit that when I first came across the Autumn Disk Set for the OXO Cookie Press, my thoughts immediately bypassed the endless seasonal possibilities and immediately focused on the owl disk. An old friend was about to deliver a sweet baby girl and in light of her love of owls, I knew that a batch of pink baby owl cookies was just around the corner.
Fast forward a month and babies have been born, cookies have been baked and are they all not just the cutest things you’ve ever seen? Having had the most adorable set of twins earlier this year, I also sent a batch to her twin sister. Given the infertility journey that both of them have been on over the last several years, these four babies are nothing shy of a miracle. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate their arrivals and to give these tired moms a pick me up than a batch of homemade baby owl cookies.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Pink food coloring
- Small edible pearls for eyes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cream together shortening and egg. Gradually mix in the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder until well combined.
- Add almond extract and mix well. Add food coloring to desired color.
- Put through the cookie press onto cookie sheets. Place a single edible pearl into each eye socket.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 -12 minutes or until very light brown and set.
OXO Cookie Press
Autumn Disk Set