Pumpkin spice caramel sauce turns ordinary canned biscuits into an incredible fall flavored monkey bread.
Confession: I had never had monkey bread before last weekend. Trust me, after taking my first bite I am as shocked by this confession as you are. What took me so long?
I hope I didn’t set the bar too high by adding pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin puree to the traditional recipe, but I’m pretty sure that even plain monkey bread would be absolutely glorious. Crunchy cinnamon crusts, flaky biscuit dough, and gooey pumpkin caramel sauce holding it all together – what’s not to love? This recipe was so quick to throw together that I can guarantee more weekends will be graced with its presence. It also reheats beautifully which is always a welcome treat when it comes to breakfasts that can carry over into the beginning of the week.
If you’ve never made monkey bread, do yourself a favor and go make some. If you already love monkey bread, do yourself an even bigger favor by throwing pumpkin into your next batch. You’ll thank me.
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 7.5-ounce cans of biscuit dough*
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place granulated sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a large Ziplock bag and shake to mix thoroughly.
- Cut biscuits into quarters and toss into sugar mixture. Seal bag and shake gently until all pieces are coated evenly.
- Divide dough pieces between each of the twelve muffin cups and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the brown sugar, butter and pumpkin puree. Bring mixture to a boil, cook for one additional minute and then remove from heat.
- Stir to make sure all sugar is dissolved and pour caramel to evenly fill each cavity of the muffin tin.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes until dough is set and edges are a golden brown.
- Allow muffin tin to cool on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes before removing bread to serve. Spoon any caramel left at the bottom of the muffin tin on top of your monkey bread before serving.