brown butter cinnamon s’mores cookies
Browned butter, honey and cinnamon give a rustic feel to the slightly crispy, yet equally chewy dough that turns semi-sweet chocolate chips and vanilla mallow bits into decadent S’mores Cookies.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Jet-Puffed Vanilla Mallow Bits
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Brown ½ cup (1 stick) of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat by allowing it to melt, foam and return to clear with brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Be sure to swirl pan frequently to avoid burning. Once butter is fragrant and just browned, remove from heat and pour into a small heat safe bowl. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream remaining ½ cup (1 stick) of butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add cooled browned butter, vanilla and honey and mix until smooth.
- Beat in eggs until batter is smooth and glossy.
- Add dry ingredients approximately ½ cup at a time, mixing thoroughly between each addition.
- When dough is formed, remove paddle and fold in chocolate chips and mallow bits until evenly distributed. Cover dough with saran wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a one-inch cookie scoop or heaping tablespoon, place dough two inches apart on baking sheets lined with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool slightly before serving warm or transferring to a wire rack to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Jet-Puffed Vanilla Mallow Bits can be found with the marshmallows in your grocer’s baking aisle. These resemble the freeze-dried marshmallows found in instant cocoa and, unlike traditional marshmallows, will hold their shape during baking. Not to worry, they soften up due to the moisture in the cookie dough and actually take on the softer, more traditional marshmallow consistency once baked.
The OXO Small Cookie Scoop is 1″ in diameter and perfect for quickly scooping consistently sized cookies that bake evenly.