teenage mutant ninja turtle banana pound cake cupcakes with chocolate cinnamon buttercream
In celebration of last week’s release of the trailer for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie I thought I’d share one of my favorite past cupcake creations.
As a child of the 80’s, I have to say that I am particularly excited for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie coming to theaters in August. I’m excited to share a recipe that I created a few years ago in celebration of the official trailer release.
These cupcakes were previously made for the biggest TMNT fan and friend who also happens to share my birthday. Inspired by Seargent Bananas, a mutant gorilla ally of the TMNTs that was released as part of the action figure line of characters, these cupcakes are a deliciously moist banana pound cake with a rich chocolate cinnamon buttercream. Aside from the amazing themed decorations, I have to say that the cake itself may be one of my all time favorites. The banana pound cake is perfect for those who don’t like their desserts to be too sweet while the chocolate cinnamon buttercream is a subtle reminder that this is definitely a special treat.
When creating baked goods with a specific theme, be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to hunt down your decorations. With the movie remake around the corner you’ll likely have an easier time finding Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toppers than I originally did, but I wouldn’t leave it up to chance. Give yourself plenty of time to account for shipping in the event that your local craft, party of bakery supply stores don’t have what you’re looking for.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 6 ounces (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 fully ripe bananas, mashed
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line baking tins with cupcake liners.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add cinnamon and cream until fully incorporated.
- Continue beating while adding sugar in a slow stream until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Carefully mix in half of flour mixture, followed by half of the milk and repeat.
- Once all ingredients are incorporated and batter is smooth, fold in the mashed bananas.
- Fill liners a little over half full and bake for 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting with Chocolate Cinnamon Buttercream.
- Beat butter on high for about 30 seconds until soft and fluffy.
- Add cocoa, cinnamon, salt and 1 cup of confectioners sugar and beat until fully incorporated
- Add half of the milk and the remainder of confectioners sugar and beat again until fully incorporated.
- Continue to add milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Transfer buttercream to piping bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe a swirl of buttercream on top of cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with red, orange, blue and purple jimmies and top with coordinating TMNT cupcake topper.