summer picnic skewers
Spend less time in the kitchen and more time relaxing with friends and family this Labor Day with a variety of Summer picnic skewers. They’re quick to assemble and easy to serve; perfect for a picnic in the park or a family night in.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Small fresh mozzarella balls (bocconcini)
- Romaine lettuce
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Basalmic vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tear lettuce into narrow strips.
- Alternate lettuce, tomatoes and mozzarella balls on bamboo skewers.
- Place skewers on serving platter and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Hot dogs
- Hawaiian rolls
- Baby dill pickles
- Grill hotdogs and cut in half.
- Slice Hawaiian rolls to create a bun and place one hotdog half per bun.
- Skewer two hot dogs with a baby dill pickle as a separator in the middle.
- Top with desired condiments and enjoy!
- 1 pound cake
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Place bowl and whisk attachment of an electric mixer in the freezer to chill while prepping the remaining ingredients.
- Rinse, hull and slice strawberries in half lengthwise. Set aside.
- Cube pound cake into one inch cubes.
- Alternate cubes of angel food cake and strawberries on each bamboo skewer.
- In chilled mixing bowl, beat cream, sugar and vanilla on high speed until stiff peaks form; approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Serve skewers with whipped cream on the side for dipping.
MIX IT UP
The beauty of these recipes is that they can be adapted for any size gathering and any dietary likes or dislikes. Add extra veggies to the salad skewers; try some hamburger sliders to go along with your hot dogs; and feel free to add additional berries or brownie bites to your dessert skewers.
Most importantly, don’t stress. Labor Day weekend is about relaxing and taking time off from your busy day to day schedules. Stay safe, y’all!