sparkling mulled cider
Mulled cider is such a versatile drink this time of year; it makes the chilliest of days more enjoyable when served warm and is a delightful base for cocktails when chilled.
What I love about this recipe for Sparkling Mulled Cider is that one batch can be served either alcoholic or non-alcoholic depending on guests preferences. I prefer to pair the cider with lemon sparkling water, but a dry sparkling white wine would be equally lovely. Mugs of leftover cider can be heated the next morning as a warm start to your day.
May your 2014 be filed with the comfort and joy of friends, family and all that you hold dear.
Happy New Year!
- 1 quart pure apple juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons mulling spices
- sparkling water or dry sparkling white wine, chilled
- coarse sugar to rim glasses (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine apple juice, sugar and mulling spices.
- Simmer over medium heat for twenty minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool.
- Strain spices and transfer cider to a bottle or pitcher.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve or at least thirty minutes.
- Rim the edge of your glass with coarse sugar, if desired.
- Fill glass halfway with chilled cider mixture and top off with either sparkling water or sparkling wine. Enjoy!