linzer pinwheel cookies
Lemon zest and raspberry preserves help these Linzer Pinwheel Cookies brighten up cookie trays all year long.
LINZER PINWHEEL COOKIES
Yields: approximately 5 dozen cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 3¼ cups all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup seedless raspberry preserves
- In an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat until combined. Add the eggs and lemon peel, beating until smooth. Add flour, ¼ cup at a time until all has been added and dough is formed. Cover and chill for at least an hour.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half between two sheets of parchment paper until a 10-inch square is formed. Spread a thin layer of preserves over each square, leaving a half-inch border on all edges. Carefully roll dough into spirals, pressing the ending edge to seal. Refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line baking sheet with silicone mat. With a sharp knife, quicklyl cut dough into ¼-inch slices and transfer to baking sheets. Rotate the dough between cuts to prevent dough from flattening out. If dough becomes soft, place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until firm and lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for five minutes before carefully lifting from silicone mat and transferring to cooling rack. Store in airtight container when completely cooled.