green chile lime hummus
Spice up traditional hummus with the addition of green chiles and fresh lime juice to create a guilt-free game day snack.
I recently fell in love with a line of hummus in our local market that creates some of the best flavor combinations that I have tried. Pairings such as spicy avocado, thai coconut curry and green chile lime have spiced up my lunches for several months now. Unfortunately, these specialty flavors can get quite pricey at our local organic market so I took it upon myself to recreate them at home.
I started with green chile lime as it was hands down my favorite flavor of them all. Plain hummus is used for the base of this recipe and can either be made from scratch or purchased from the store. Many European markets will sell house made hummus in bulk which is not only delicious, but also less expensive than the pre-packaged offerings. The hummus was mixed with diced green chiles, fresh lime juice and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro. The end result was delicious with tortilla chips making it the perfect healthy alternative to serve alongside your traditional game day snacks.
- 10 ounces plain hummus
- 2 heaping tablespoons canned diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- chopped raw cilantro for garnish
- Mix hummus, green chiles and lime juice together until flavors are evenly distributed.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature topped with cilantro and additional green chiles if desired.
Although this recipe is the flavor balance that I found to enjoy the best, I urge you to play around with different flavor combinations. I’d love to hear what you come up with!