game day sugar cookie bars
Colored jimmies are a fool proof decorating tip for showing off your team spirit. These sugar cookie bars feed a crowd and are the perfect blank canvas for showcasing your team’s colors during the big game.
Since the Patriots didn’t make it all the way this year, our house is pretty indifferent to the outcome of the big game. These sugar cookie bars are great for feeding a crowd and require zero decorating skills to make them look great. Once iced, just throw handfuls of jimmies in your team’s colors over the top. To prepare for Sunday’s game we covered the whole cookie in blue jimmies and then added orange for the Denver Broncos and lime green for the Seattle Seahawks. Easy peasy.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2 16 ounce tubs frosting
- assorted jimmies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 10x15 inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, and beat for one minute between each addition.
- Gradually add flour mixture, about a half cup at a time, and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Press dough evenly into prepared baking pan. Laying a second sheet of parchment paper on top to smooth dough helps if it gets sticky. Peel away top layer of parchment paper before baking.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- To decorate, spread frosting in an even layer over the top of the cooled cookie. (Pictures show thickness of one tub of frosting).
- Sprinkle with assorted jimmies or sprinkles and cut into bars. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Perfect for a house divided or an unbiased watch party, each half can be decorated to support either team.
Depending on the number of guests, bars can be cut as small or as large as you like. Everyone’s a winner with these delicious Game Day Sugar Cookie Bars!