double chocolate fudge frosting recipe
Forget rich and creamy, this double chocolate fudge frosting is rich and dreamy! Paired with Funfetti cupcakes and festive decorations it was just perfect for our bestie’s gender reveal party.
I had the ultimate pleasure this month of baking for my best friend’s gender reveal party. I’ll share the amazing cake with you next week, but I wanted to make sure you had this Double Chocolate Fudge Frosting recipe in your hands before the weekend. You know, just in case you planned on baking a cake, or cupcakes, or just eating frosting with a spoon. I recommend the latter as this frosting has jumped to the top of my best chocolate frosting ever list.
People love to hate Martha Stewart, but I have to say that her recipes rarely let me down and this frosting is no exception. What makes this frosting so amazing you ask? Likely the three different sources of fat and not one but two forms of chocolate. It sounds like it would be unbearably rich and heavy, right? Wrong. Cream cheese, sour cream, and butter somehow work their magic to turn both cocoa powder and melted chocolate into the fluffiest buttercream that is neither too rich nor too sweet. Oh how I love the magic of baking.
Knowing that children would be attending the gender reveal party, I wanted a handheld treat to accompany the cake for the big reveal. Cupcakes are perfect for tiny hands and my favorite Funfetti boxed mix paired perfectly with this homemade Double Chocolate Fudge Frosting for a quick and easy semi-homemade treat. I split this recipe between a small cake and 24 cupcakes cutting down on the amount of time and ingredients used to make the two recipes simultaneously.
Just in case guests grew impatient for dessert, I decided not to fill the cupcakes with the gender revealing filling. I didn’t want tiny hands to ruin the big surprise, but wanted a festive presentation for the cupcakes. Pink and blue cupcake liners, Sixlets candies, and bright confetti sprinkles coordinated perfectly with the reveal cake and the Team Pink or Blue theme of the party.
Guests are still raving about this Double Fudge Chocolate Frosting and how it was delicious without being ‘too much.’ The bestie’s gender reveal was a huge success – keep an eye out early next week for the cake recipe and big reveal!
- 9 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2¼ cups confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sour cream
- Melt chocolate over a double boiler, stirring until smooth. Set aside and allow to cool until just warm to the touch.
- Sift together confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together cream cheese and butter on medium high speed until smooth.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add dry ingredients, beating until well combined.
- Add sour cream and melted chocolate and beat on medium speed until combined and fluffy.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use. Allow to frosting to return to room temperature before piping.