christmas owl spritz cookies
These Christmas Owl Spritz Cookies were just too cute not to share with you this year as I just adore each of their unique personalities.
Made with my beloved cookie press, these owls were quick to throw together alongside a batch of traditional green trees. I’m sure by now you’re tired of spritz recipes, but these little guys were too cute not to snap a picture and share. Using my traditional almond spritz cookie recipe, I added black dragees for the eyes and festive candy coated sunflower seeds for the beaks.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- black dragees
- candy coated sunflower seeds
- green food coloring
- cinnamon candies
- assorted sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cream together shortening and egg. Gradually mix in the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder until well combined.
- Add almond extract and mix well. Add food coloring to desired color.
- Put through the cookie press onto cookie sheets. Decorate cookies prior to baking.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 -12 minutes or until very light brown and set.
TIPS + TRICKS
To make both owls and trees from the same batch, remove half of the dough before adding food coloring. Press half of the dough using the owl disk, returning scraps to the mixing bowl. Add green food coloring to the second half of the dough before pressing through the tree disk.
Decorate owls with black dragees for eyes and candy coated sunflower seeds for beaks.
Decorate trees with assorted sprinkles and top with cinnamon candies.