Delightfully sweet candy melts are the perfect solution for ensuring that your slice and bake Candy Corn Sugar Cookies always have white tips.
One of my absolute favorite Halloween baking recipes over the years has been these slice and bake candy corn sugar cookies, not just for their adorable festive appeal but because they are absolutely delicious. The smooth candy melts add just enough sweet to the buttery shortbread and they’re the perfect size for snacking. I will be forever indebted to Sweet Sugar Belle for her solution to ensure that every cookie is layered in the official candy corn color order: yellow-orange-white. I think we can all agree that we’ll sleep easier tonight.
For added variety you can dip the wide end in milk chocolate candy melts to create Indian Corn which is equally delicious and festive. You could also go crazy and mimic the red-green-white holiday corn found around the Christmas holidays or the pastel Easter varieties.
- 2 sticks of butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- orange food coloring
- yellow candy melts
- milk chocolate candy melts
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla, almond and orange juice and beat until light and fluffy. Add dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Divide dough into thirds and use orange food coloring to dye one-third. Optionally, the remaining two-thirds can be dyed using a white food dye for added pop. (I used just a few drops and loved the difference!)
- Line a 9x5" loaf pan with plastic wrap. Press one-third of the white dough into the bottom of the pan and smooth to flatten. Repeat with layer of orange dough and remaining one-third of white. Cover with remaining plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Slice dough lengthwise into strips and cut candy corns at an angle. Bake on silicone lined baking sheets at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 7-10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Melt candy melts according to package instructions. Dip the wide white tip of the candy corns into yellow or milk chocolate melts and allow to set on silicone lined baking sheet.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.