If you indulged in more than your fair share of Valentine sweets this past week then this pasta salad will be a welcome addition to your weekly meals.
Pasta salads are one of my favorite weeknight dinners. With the proper assortment of proteins and veggies, they can be quite hearty and are perfect for last minute plating as weeknights never seem to go as planned. I found some local artisan artichoke pesto at our neighborhood market and thought it would be a lovely way to pull together some of my favorite Italian pasta salad ingredients and boy was I right. Served over a handful of fresh baby spinach this pasta salad is refreshingly bright and filling. Pick out a fancy pesto (or make your own!) and throw together your favorite toppings to make this tasty recipe for your family.
- 1 pound pasta
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 12 ounces bocconcini (small fresh mozzarella balls)
- 10 ounces salami, cubed
- ¼ cup artichoke pesto
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh baby spinach leaves for serving
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Rinse with cold water, drain and set aside.
- Toss together pasta, tomatoes, bocconcini, salami and pesto in a large bowl until all ingredients are evenly distributed. A light, even coating of pesto is desired; add more if needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.
- To serve plate a handful of baby spinach, a generous serving of pasta salad and a drizzle of oil and vinegar to help dress the greens.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container.