alfajores spritz cookies
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a batch of Alfajores Spritz Cookies; these cookies are quick to throw together and bursting with flavor!
I love Alfajores – crumbly shortbread, rich dulce de leche and a sweet dusting of powdered sugar. What I do not love is rolling and cutting dozens of cookie rounds as the original recipe tends to call for. In a moment of kitchen genius, I came up with a spritz dough that yields a similar shortbread and eliminates the need for rolling and cutting the dough. The shortbread turned out exactly how I envisioned and the ridges of the cookie press create the perfect surface for a dusting of sweet sugar.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon Mexican Vanilla
- 1 cup dulce de leche
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream together shortening and egg. Gradually mix in the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder until well combined. Add Mexican Vanilla and mix well.
- Put through the cookie press onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 -12 minutes or until very light brown and set. Allow cookies to cool completely before filling.
- Spread or pipe a generous layer of dulce de leche on the bottoms of half of the cookies. Sandwich the remaining cookies, bottom side down, on top of the dulce de leche.
- Dust tops with powered sugar and store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Mirro Copper Cookie Press or comparable modern cookie press